Notify Social Security After a Loved One Passes | Probate Attorney in Sacramento

By: Heather Chubb, Probate Attorney in Sacramento

In continuing our blog series on The Steps to Take After Losing a Loved One, we’re going to discuss Social Security and how to make sure benefits are properly stopped upon death.

A common misconception is that Social Security will automatically be notified once a person passes away.   There is also a misconception that any benefits falsely issued after death can be collected by family members until the funds are officially shut off.

Yes, it’s true that Social Security will eventually find out about your loved one’s passing.   It could take days, weeks or even months before this information is reflected in their internal records.

They will also know whether or not the family has been attempting to collect continued benefits on behalf of the deceased person.   This is considered fraud and may trigger an investigation by the federal government. If this occurs, your family runs the risk of facing prosecution and fines in addition to having to return the money issued after your loved one’s death.

For this reason, it’s always best to be proactive and notify the Social Security Administration immediately following the passing of a loved one.  You can call the Administration at 800.772.1213, or visit their website,

Be prepared to have copies of the death certificate (which may take up tot 2 weeks to obtain) as well as necessary proof that you have permission to discuss your loved one’s estate.

It is also safe to assume that any payments that were set up by direct deposit will either be stopped by the government or frozen by the bank.

As you may have experienced with issues like incorrect tax filings or appeals, making an error that affects a government institution can be time-consuming and full of paperwork. Avoid making these mistakes by contacting an experienced probate attorney in Sacramento by calling (916) 241-9661. We are happy to provide you and your family with a free consultation to discuss how we may be of service to you during this difficult time.

One Response to “Notify Social Security After a Loved One Passes | Probate Attorney in Sacramento”

  1. Lawyer says:

    Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your submit is simply cool and i could think you’re an expert in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to clutch your feed to keep updated with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.

Leave a Reply

Protected by WP Anti Spam

Free Resources

Download Now Download Now Download Now Download Now Download Now



As Seen On

Elder Council Elder Care Matters Wealth Council   Good Day Sacramento Financial Advisor Fox 40
Sacramento Estate Planning Council Neala     Credit Card Guide The Sacramento Bee  

Life Transition Planning

Contact Us

Young Adult or Parent of Minor Children
In the Prime of Life
Concerned About the Impact of Long-Term Care
Handling A Loved One’s Estate
The Chubb Law Firm
1833 Iron Point Road, Suite 120
Folsom, CA 95630
Phone: 916.241.9661
Fax: 916.534.7790
Or use our online form >>
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Google Plus YouTube RSS